Table of Contents Hide
Last Updated on May 1, 2023 by Rovamedia
Medium is a popular online platform that allows individuals to publish and distribute their content to a wide audience. With its user-friendly interface and built-in community, Medium has become a go-to platform for bloggers and content creators looking to expand their reach. However, many have questioned whether Medium is bad for SEO and how it affects their overall content strategy.
One of the main concerns with Medium and SEO is the issue of duplicate content. Medium’s default setting is to use rel=canonical tags, which tells search engines that the original source of the content is on Medium’s site, rather than on the author’s personal website or blog. This means that if you publish your content on Medium and your own website, search engines may prioritize the Medium version over your own website, potentially hurting your SEO efforts.
However, it’s important to note that Medium does allow authors to change the canonical tag to point to their own website, which can help alleviate this issue. Additionally, Medium’s built-in community and distribution channels can help improve your content’s visibility and potentially drive traffic to your own website or blog.
In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of using Medium for SEO and provide insights into how you can incorporate Medium into your content strategy.
Pros of Using Medium for SEO
- High Domain Authority – Medium has a high domain authority, meaning that it ranks well in search engine results pages (SERPs). By publishing content on Medium, you can increase your chances of appearing in relevant search results.
- Built-in Community – Medium has a built-in community of readers and writers, which means that your content has the potential to be shared and discovered by a wider audience.
- Mobile Optimization – Medium is optimized for mobile devices, which is important considering the increasing number of users accessing the internet from their phones.
- Backlink Opportunities – By including links to your website or other content in your Medium articles, you can generate backlinks to your site, which can help improve your SEO.
Cons of Using Medium for SEO
- Limited Control – Medium has strict guidelines for content creation, which can limit your ability to fully optimize your content for SEO. For example, you cannot add custom meta descriptions or control the formatting of your content.
- Duplicate Content – Because Medium allows anyone to republish content, there is a risk of duplicate content, which can harm your SEO efforts.
- Lack of Customization – Medium does not allow for much customization of your profile or publication, which can make it difficult to establish your brand and stand out in a crowded field.
- Limited Traffic to Your Website – While Medium can help you reach a wider audience, it can also limit the amount of traffic that you drive to your website. This is because Medium does not allow for direct links to your website in your articles.
Incorporating Medium into Your Content Strategy
Despite the potential drawbacks, Medium can still be a valuable tool for content creators looking to expand their reach and improve their SEO. Here are some tips for incorporating Medium into your content strategy:
- Repurpose Content – Instead of creating entirely new content for Medium, consider repurposing existing content. This can help you avoid duplicate content issues and can also save you time and resources.
- Optimize Within Medium’s Guidelines – While you may not have complete control over the formatting of your content, make sure to optimize within Medium’s guidelines. This includes using appropriate headings, adding tags, and ensuring that your content is easily readable.
- Cross-Promote Your Content – To drive traffic to your website, cross-promote your content on your website and social media channels. This can help ensure that your audience is aware of your presence on Medium and can drive traffic to your website.
- Focus on Building Your Brand – While Medium may limit your ability to customize your profile or publication, focus on building your brand through your content. By establishing yourself as an authority in your field, you can build a loyal following and drive traffic to your website over time.
While Medium has its pros and cons for SEO, it can still be a valuable tool for content creators looking to expand their reach and improve their SEO. By understanding the potential drawbacks and incorporating Medium into your content strategy in a strategic way, you can leverage this platform to reach a wider audience and achieve your SEO goals.
To summarize, Medium can be a great platform for content creators to share their work, connect with readers, and potentially boost their SEO. While Medium may not offer the same level of control and customization as a self-hosted blog or website, its built-in audience and distribution network can make it an attractive option for those looking to expand their reach.
However, it’s important to be aware of the potential drawbacks of using Medium for SEO. One of the main concerns is the lack of control over the platform’s technical SEO, which can limit your ability to optimize your content for search engines. Additionally, the platform’s content discovery algorithms and paywall system can make it more difficult for your content to be seen by a wider audience.
To make the most of Medium for SEO, content creators should approach it as a supplement to their own website or blog, rather than a replacement. By cross-posting content and linking back to your own website, you can benefit from Medium’s built-in audience while also driving traffic and improving your SEO on your own platform.
Another strategy is to use Medium to build your brand and credibility as a thought leader in your industry, which can in turn improve your SEO. By regularly publishing high-quality content on Medium and engaging with readers and other authors, you can establish yourself as an authority and attract more backlinks to your own website or blog.
Ultimately, the decision to use Medium for SEO will depend on your specific goals and needs as a content creator. While it may not be the best option for everyone, it can be a valuable tool for expanding your reach and building your brand online. By understanding the pros and cons of using Medium for SEO and incorporating it strategically into your content strategy, you can achieve your goals and reach a wider audience.